Burlington Travel Clinic
CONTAMINATED FOOD IS A MAJOR CAUSE OF TRAVELLERS’ DIARRHEA. TRAVELLERS ARE ADVISED TO FOLLOW THESE GENERAL GUIDELINES:
- Always wash your hands before eating with soap and water or with alcohol hand sanitizer. Pocket-sized or purse-sized sanitizers are widely available in drug stores.
- Avoid raw or uncooked food like raw meat or seafood and uncooked vegetables.
- Avoid unpasteurized milk and dairy products.
- Eat Meal that is thoroughly cooked and served hot. Meal served cold or not hot is not safe, even if it was cooked well, since bacteria or pathogens can contaminate food after the Meal cools down. This applies to open buffets.
- Fresh sauces, dressings and condiments are not safe. Examples include ketchup, salsa, and salad dressings unless they are individually packaged.
- Eat fruits only if you peel them yourself. Fruits served peeled, like in fruit salads, are not safe. Fruits that cannot be peeled like berries are not safe.
For more information, please visit: